NEWS IN ENGLISH | Entrepreneurial independence for Axel Springer Mediahouse Berlin
Entrepreneurial independence for Axel Springer Mediahouse Berlin
2023-06-20 16:48:00

Petra Kalb (Axel Springer Mediahouse Berlin)
Core business of Mediahouse publishing group to be further expanded digitally as well as with video and audio and social media content.

The media and technology company Axel Springer is setting the course for the future of its Berlin music titles. Petra Kalb, who has been Managing Director of Axel Springer Mediahouse Berlin since 2009, will acquire the majority shares (80 percent) in the company from Axel Springer SE, effective July 1, 2023. The remaining shares (20 percent) will still be owned by Axel Springer. As part of this transition, the publishing group will operate under the name Mediahouse Berlin moving forward.

Mediahouse Berlin publishes the leading international music brand ROLLING STONE Germany, the trend magazine MUSIKEXPRESS, and the special interest title METAL HAMMER. It has its location on Berlin's Mehringdamm since 2010. With its portfolio, Mediahouse Berlin reaches a loyal community. The publishing house also manages the international art magazine BLAU International and the culture and women's magazine DIE DAME. The 30-strong team includes journalists, audio and video producers as well as creative directors and experts in live events.

Petra Kalb, Managing Director of Mediahouse Berlin: "I feel a deep connection to the brands and the team at Mediahouse Berlin, and have long desired to operate with even more entrepreneurial freedom. I believe in the power of strong brands that can evoke emotions. Our expertise in the areas of music and trend, culture and art, luxury and lifestyle is unique. This creates an excellent foundation for future growth in our core business and also for the realization of new business ideas."

Mathias Döpfner, CEO of Axel Springer SE: "The new independence of Mediahouse Berlin follows our Group-wide approach to more entrepreneurship. Petra Kalb has been closely associated with Mediahouse Berlin for many years. She has the necessary publishing passion and entrepreneurial expertise for the successful further development of this unique publishing group. We look forward to continuing to accompany Mediahouse Berlin on its journey."

At the newly established Mediahouse Berlin, the digital offering in particular is to be at the center of the brand strategy and significantly expanded. Among other things, it is planned to considerably expand the brands' video and audio offerings and social media presence, and to add numerous new journalistic storytelling formats. The marketing cooperation with Media Impact from the Axel Springer Group will be retained.

A key focus of the entrepreneurial future concept for Mediahouse Berlin is also the development of new business areas in the creative sector. Among other things, a 360-degree agency offering is to be developed in Berlin for exclusive, high-profile events. The offer builds on the strong positioning, experience and unique network of the Mediahouse brands.